Lockdown got you down? Do you just want a Greggs back in your life?
Imagine walking down the high street, shopping bags in hand, you’ve been in town since 10am and you fancy a snack so you pop to Greggs for your favourite treat – a piping hot (or warm) chicken bake.
So maybe that’s not the ideal scenario but hear me out – I have nailed the chicken bake. It’s really simple and only took an hour to make! Here’s how…
Makes 4-6 depending on size, we were having these as our dinner so I made them bigger.
- 2 chicken breasts (diced)
- Cheese sauce – I got mine from the local coop but it’s really easy to make you own
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Puff pastry – I got mine ready made because it’s hard making your own
- Tsp garlic salt
- Tbsp oil
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to season
The shopping list looks simple but the process is simpler.
The method to the madness…
- Dice your chicken into small pieces approx 1-2cm
- Add oil and garlic salt to a pan and fry chicken till cooked
- Add in sauce and leave to simmer for 4 minutes
- Take the filling off the heat and leave to cool – now work on your pastry
- If you need to start rolling out the pasty until you have enough to cut 8-12 equal rectangle
- Start to fill your rectangles – 2- 3 tablespoons should be enough to fill each one
- Sprinkle on grated cheese then add salt and pepper to taste
- Place another piece of pastry on top and use a fork to press together
- Score the top and add an egg wash to give them a golden colour
Mine looked a little messy, but you get the idea.
Pop them in a 200 degree oven for 25-30 minutes checking them regularly and you get these!
Granted, they’re a little wonky but they taste so good and are really quick and easy to pull together. I got everything I needed from my local shop without needing to venture to a supermarket.
If you give them a go let me know how they went – I’ll be trying the steak bakes next!